September 30, 2010

Summer of Celebrations (Part IV): Ashley's Wedding Shower

My sweet sister-in-law, Ashley, got married this summer. So, at the end of June, we threw a wedding shower for her at Chelsea's house. (Ash, do you have the pics of all us from your shower? If so, bring them next week!) Chelsea and I only took pics before the guests arrived, after that, we were too busy visiting with people...so, all I have for now are these of the details:


Her wedding colors were black and white and she'd have damask on most of her wedding decor, so we continued on with that theme for the "black and white" dessert bar and damask details.


I made this wreath using this tutorial with her soon-to-be new last initial! (I could not find the plates anywhere, but then found out they were from a craft store in Utah.) I used this damask one instead from Hobby Lobby. And, instead of using vinyl, I just printed out the "H" on white paper and modge-podged it to the plate.

I wish we had a closer shot of the fabric flowers because they turned out super cute. This tutorial was our inspiration. The smaller flowers were from the "twisted flowers". We used this tutorial for the large flower.

On to the food.

I appointed Chelsea to make the Oreo balls and Chocolate Covered Strawberries. I said that frosting anything was a gift,remember? And I don't have that gift.


Oreo balls

1 pkg. of Oreo cookies, crushed
8 oz. cream cheese
1 pkg. white chocolate/chocolate

Mix crushed oreos and cream cheese. Roll into balls. Chill for 1 hour. Melt chocolate, dip ball in chocolate. Let cool on wax paper. (It takes about 15 minutes for chocolate to harden.) I put some chocolate (opposite of what I dipped them in) in a plastic bag and cut off the corner to drizzle over the top when they were all done. (optional)




Dirt Cake
8oz. cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup margarine, softened
2 small pkg. of vanilla pudding
3 1/2 cups of milk
12 oz. Cool Whip, thawed
20 oz. package of Oreo cookies

Mix cream cheese, margarine, and powdered sugar. Set aside. In another bowl mix pudding and milk, set aside 5 minutes, add cool whip and cream cheese mixture.

Put Oreo cookies in the food processor and mix until crumbs are fine. (save a few sprinkles for the top)

Layer in bowl: oreo, pudding, oreo, pudding (I usually just look and see how much instead of measuring). If you want you can save some cool whip for the top. Either way sprinkle some Oreo crumbs on top.

Cool before serving.




White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Cookies (here)

Double Chocolate Chunk Cookies
2 cups flour
3/4 cup baking Cocoa
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 sticks of softened butter
2/3 cup of brown sugar
2/3 cups of sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in chunks. Drop onto ungreased baking sheets.

Bake for about 10 minutes or until centers are set but still soft at 350°.




Chocolate Chip Pound Cake
1 box yellow cake mix
1 small pkg. vanilla pudding
1 small pkg. chocolate pudding
1 1/4 c. water
1/2 c. oil
(plus the next 3 ingredients.)

Mix together the above ingredients. Add 4 eggs, then 1 1/2 c. chocolate chips, and 8 oz. sour cream.

Heat oven to 350°. Pour all into a greased bunt pan. Cook 50-60 minutes.



(Not pictured but so yummy. SO. YUMMY. that I made two and debated about whether to eat one whole pie by myself before the shower. I seriously thought of excuses about how I could have showed up with just one pie. I was totally ready to blame it on the pregnancy "cravings" since they were real this time, then I remembered that I didn't want to gain 50 lbs like I did with Asher, so I resisted and brought the second pie...uneaten.)

Aunt Susan's Famous French Silk Chocolate Pie

Ingredients for a 10-inch pan:
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 sticks butter
2 tsp. vanilla
4 eggs
3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled

9-inch pan:
3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
3 squares unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled

PLUS
1 (9- or 10-inch) pie crust, baked and cooled
whipped cream

Cream butters and sugar until light and fluffy. Add cooled chocolate and vanilla. Mix well. Add eggs one at a time. Beat 5 minutes after each egg. Put in any crust you like. Chill well. Store in refrigerator.

2 comments:

Tiffany said...

Dirt cake recipe. How much powdered sugar do you use? I don't see that ingredient listed. Thank you!

Kirby said...

Oops. 1 cup.